Assembler messages: ??

William Estrada
Hi group,

  I am porting a Linux app to Windozes and I have run into this problem that
I don't understand.  The error message is short and not very informational:

    /usr/local/bin/mingw32-gcc -I/usr/local/mingw32/include -L.
    -L/usr/local/i382-mingw32/lib -DWIN32 -g -I. -lasound -lws2_32 -o
    winecho winecho.c
    /tmp/ccGvfRw8.s: Assembler messages:
    /tmp/ccGvfRw8.s:2: Fatal error: Bad .section directive: want
    a,w,x,M,S,G,T in string

That's it! Does anyone know what this means?? And of course, how do I
fix it?

--
William Estrada
[hidden email]

Re: Assembler messages: ??

Brian Dessent
William Estrada wrote:

>     /usr/local/bin/mingw32-gcc -I/usr/local/mingw32/include -L.
>     -L/usr/local/i382-mingw32/lib -DWIN32 -g -I. -lasound -lws2_32 -o
>     winecho winecho.c
>     /tmp/ccGvfRw8.s: Assembler messages:
>     /tmp/ccGvfRw8.s:2: Fatal error: Bad .section directive: want
>     a,w,x,M,S,G,T in string
>
> That's it! Does anyone know what this means?? And of course, how do I
> fix it?

It sounds like you have a problem with PATH in that the native ELF
assembler is being called instead of the MinGW cross-assembler.  Run the
command above with -### added and paste the complete output.  The 'as'
that is invoked should be 'mingw32-as', not 'as'.  If it's invoking the
ELF system 'as' then that is the problem that you need to fix, by either
adjusting PATH or making sure that the cross-binutils was installed into
the same prefix (and using the same noncanonical target string) as the
cross-compiler.

Brian