64-bit MinGW

123

64-bit MinGW

David Gressett
I'm starting a new thread here, to not hijack the existing
thread about the secondary platform  situation.

What would it take to get a 64-bit MinGW build of gcc going?

Would it be reasonable to take the problematic 64-bit patch
and do a detailed item-by-item check against publicly-available
Microsoft licensed documentation, producing a report which
lists a documentation reference for each and every function,
procedure, structure, and constant in the patch?

Re: 64-bit MinGW

niXman-2
David Gressett 2014-05-02 00:12:
> What would it take to get a 64-bit MinGW build of gcc going?

You need to use MinGW-W64:
https://sourceforge.net/p/mingw-w64/mailman/message/32287110/

--
Regards, niXman
Dual-target(32 & 64-bit) MinGW-W64 compilers for 32 and 64-bit Windows:

Re: 64-bit MinGW

David Gressett

niXman wrote:

>David Gressett 2014-05-02 00:12:
>> What would it take to get a 64-bit MinGW build of gcc going?

>You need to use MinGW-W64:

That is exactly what I want to avoid. I want to stay carefully
within the license limitations defined by Microsoft and I do not
have certain knowledge that the MinGW-W64 software is
in compliance with the Microsoft license restrictions.

I (and the developers of the MinGW compilers supported
on this mailing list) want to avoid the painful situation that will
develop if somone in the Microsoft legal department drinks
too much coffee and decides to go headhunting.

It is my opinion that anyone who ignores the Microsoft
licences should go to a tattoo parlour and get a dotted line
tattooed around his neck with this text tattooed under the
line: "Microsoft Lawyers - please cut here. Anaesthesia desirable
but not necessary".

Re: 64-bit MinGW

Michael Gerdau
> >You need to use MinGW-W64:
> That is exactly what I want to avoid. I want to stay carefully
> within the license limitations defined by Microsoft and I do not
> have certain knowledge that the MinGW-W64 software is
> in compliance with the Microsoft license restrictions.
>
> I (and the developers of the MinGW compilers supported
> on this mailing list) want to avoid the painful situation that will
> develop if somone in the Microsoft legal department drinks
> too much coffee and decides to go headhunting.
>
> It is my opinion that anyone who ignores the Microsoft
> licences should go to a tattoo parlour and get a dotted line
> tattooed around his neck with this text tattooed under the
> line: "Microsoft Lawyers - please cut here. Anaesthesia desirable
> but not necessary".

OMG.

FUD - is MingW truely in need of this type of advocacy ???

Please either present sound evidence as to the suspicions you raised
or just do not spread unfounded doubts.

Thank you.
Michael
--
 Michael Gerdau       email: [hidden email]

switch ?

georg chambert
Ive been using gcc -gnatv in my old 2.8 gcc

(i think)

now I have installed 4.8.1 (in order to get to the libstdc++ library, which
didnt work out since there seem to be unresolved internal references in)

then -gnatv doesnt work, it seems to think the switch (option) is -g  and
then with some argument ??  which it cannot interprete

is this a bug or am I lost ?

tnx Georg

Re: switch ?

Clemens Schäfermeier
Hi Georg
According to
http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gnat_ugn_unw/Switches-for-gcc.html
it should be still there and not depreciated.

Am 2014-05-01 23:20, schrieb georg chambert:

> Ive been using gcc -gnatv in my old 2.8 gcc
>

> (i think)
>

> now I have installed 4.8.1 (in order to get to the libstdc++ library, which
> didnt work out since there seem to be unresolved internal references in)
>
> then -gnatv doesnt work, it seems to think the switch (option) is -g  and
> then with some argument ??  which it cannot interprete
>
> is this a bug or am I lost ?
>
> tnx Georg

Re: switch ?

georg chambert
Yes I think soo too, however the c++ compiler barfs and says something like
that its an unknown
extension to the -g option......

Georg

> it should be still there and not depreciated.
>
> Am 2014-05-01 23:20, schrieb georg chambert:
>> Ive been using gcc -gnatv in my old 2.8 gcc
>>

>> (i think)
>>

>> now I have installed 4.8.1 (in order to get to the libstdc++ library,
>> which
>> didnt work out since there seem to be unresolved internal references in)
>>
>> then -gnatv doesnt work, it seems to think the switch (option) is -g  and
>> then with some argument ??  which it cannot interprete
>>
>> is this a bug or am I lost ?
>>
>> tnx Georg

>> [hidden email]
>>
>> This list observes the Etiquette found at
>> http://www.mingw.org/Mailing_Lists.
>> We ask that you be polite and do the same.  Disregard for the list
>> etiquette may cause your account to be moderated.

> We ask that you be polite and do the same.  Disregard for the list
> etiquette may cause your account to be moderated.

Re: switch ?

Clemens Schäfermeier
Check this one:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/14171256/how-to-set-error-message-control-to-verbose-in-mingw

On 2014-05-02 07:49, georg chambert wrote:

> Yes I think soo too, however the c++ compiler barfs and says something like
> that its an unknown
> extension to the -g option......
>
> Georg

Right, that is my problem. But Im not afterr getting more warnings, I want
the -gnatv func
to get more info on errors, more specifically why the libstdc++ is not
resolving referrences.
(also i find that the 4.8 version has much worse error tracing/reporting
than 2.8, could that be the case ?)

tnx
Georg

On 2014-05-02 07:49, georg chambert wrote:

> Yes I think soo too, however the c++ compiler barfs and says something
> like
> that its an unknown
> extension to the -g option......
>
> Georg

Btw, that site could use some help in explaining the differences
between the umpteen different packages, or how to decode that from a
name of a package such as x86_64-4.9.0-release-posix-sjlj-rt_v3-rev1.7z.
What is the difference, from the user POV, between posix and win32
threads? between sjlj, seh, and dwarf? what is the importance of the
rt_v3 part? why isn't there a dwarf variant for x64 targets?  Those are
just a few questions that bug a newcomer when she is trying to figure out
which parts to download.  Also, what are the differences between the
different "Personal Builds", and why isn't there a single authoritative
release that is known to be stable for every package?

If the MinGW-W64 project wants to attract users, I suggest to make some
progress in the above area, because frankly, right now the site looks
like a car crash (no offense).

Re: 64-bit MinGW

On 01/05/14 22:18, Michael Gerdau wrote:
>> ... I want to stay carefully within the license limitations defined
>> by Microsoft and I do not have certain knowledge that the MinGW-W64
>> software is in compliance with the Microsoft license restrictions.
>
> FUD - is MingW truely in need of this type of advocacy ???

You may wish to dismiss it as such, but caveat emptor.

> Please either present sound evidence as to the suspicions you raised
> or just do not spread unfounded doubts.

Originating, as it did, so soon after the creator of the MinGW-w64 fork
offered patches to us, and was asked to submit them for audit, so as to
avoid possible infringement of Microsoft's copyright, we must surely
conclude that his project has a carelessly cavalier attitude to this.

Re: 64-bit MinGW

Erwin Waterlander
Op 2-5-2014 17:24, Eli Zaretskii schreef:

>> Date: Fri, 02 May 2014 00:23:22 +0400
>> From: niXman <[hidden email]>
>>
>> David Gressett 2014-05-02 00:12:
>>> What would it take to get a 64-bit MinGW build of gcc going?
>> You need to use MinGW-W64:
>> https://sourceforge.net/p/mingw-w64/mailman/message/32287110/
> Btw, that site could use some help in explaining the differences
> between the umpteen different packages, or how to decode that from a
> name of a package such as x86_64-4.9.0-release-posix-sjlj-rt_v3-rev1.7z.
> What is the difference, from the user POV, between posix and win32
> threads? between sjlj, seh, and dwarf? what is the importance of the
> rt_v3 part? why isn't there a dwarf variant for x64 targets?  Those are
> just a few questions that bug a newcomer when she is trying to figure out
> which parts to download.  Also, what are the differences between the
> different "Personal Builds", and why isn't there a single authoritative
> release that is known to be stable for every package?
>
> If the MinGW-W64 project wants to attract users, I suggest to make some
> progress in the above area, because frankly, right now the site looks
> like a car crash (no offense).

That is why I started to use the msys2 project. You only need to choose
between 32 or 64 bit gcc. On top of it you get a whole bunch of commonly
used libraries, a new msys shell (based on cygwin 1.7), and a simple
installer (pacman). The versions of the libraries are up to date. Gcc
4.9.0 is already included.

regards,

Erwin

Re: switch ?

Clemens Schäfermeier
But isn't the point that this doc is for ADA and not applicable for
other (e.g. C) compilers of gcc?
Maybe that was changed between your old version and the latest one...

Am 2014-05-02 09:16, schrieb georg chambert:

> Right, that is my problem. But Im not afterr getting more warnings, I want
> the -gnatv func
> to get more info on errors, more specifically why the libstdc++ is not
> resolving referrences.
> (also i find that the 4.8 version has much worse error tracing/reporting
> than 2.8, could that be the case ?)
>
> tnx
> Georg

Nathan Ridge
>> Please either present sound evidence as to the suspicions you raised
>> or just do not spread unfounded doubts.
>
> Originating, as it did, so soon after the creator of the MinGW-w64 fork
> offered patches to us, and was asked to submit them for audit, so as to
> avoid possible infringement of Microsoft's copyright, we must surely
> conclude that his project has a carelessly cavalier attitude to this.

What does it mean to "submit [patches] for audit"? Who do you submit
them to, and what do they do with them?

Regards,
Nate

Re: 64-bit MinGW

Keith Marshall
On 03/05/14 01:30, Nathan Ridge wrote:
> What does it mean to "submit [patches] for audit"? Who do you submit
> them to, and what do they do with them?

You follow the patch submission procedure, as described here:
http://mingw.org/wiki/SubmitPatches

A project administrator, or authorised package maintainer, will then
review your patches, and decide whether or not they meet the criteria
for acceptance into MinGW.org's code base; one criterion which we will
check is a documentary source, to ensure that we avoid any blatant
copyright infringement.

Re: 64-bit MinGW

Nathan Ridge
>>> Originating, as it did, so soon after the creator of the MinGW-w64 fork
>>> offered patches to us, and was asked to submit them for audit, so as to
>>> avoid possible infringement of Microsoft's copyright, we must surely
>>> conclude that his project has a carelessly cavalier attitude to this.
>>
>> What does it mean to "submit [patches] for audit"? Who do you submit
>> them to, and what do they do with them?
>
> You follow the patch submission procedure, as described here:
> http://mingw.org/wiki/SubmitPatches
>
> A project administrator, or authorised package maintainer, will then
> review your patches, and decide whether or not they meet the criteria
> for acceptance into MinGW.org's code base; one criterion which we will
> check is a documentary source, to ensure that we avoid any blatant
> copyright infringement.

So why not look at the patches that were offered, and arrive at a
conclusion about their copyright infringement or lack thereof, on
their merits, rather than saying things like "we must surely conclude

On 03/05/14 03:56, Nathan Ridge wrote:
> So why not look at the patches that were offered, and arrive at a
> conclusion about their copyright infringement or lack thereof, on
> their merits, rather than saying things like "we must surely conclude
> that his project has a carelessly cavalier attitude to this"?

Because, at the time he just threw a huge tarball of all his headers at
us; he never broke it down into patches.  When politely asked to do so,
he just ran off in a sulk, an the next thing we knew, the fork appeared.

Re: 64-bit MinGW

Romain Garbi
Hi !

It is clear that this kind of attitude should not exist. However, it is always sad to miss an important features, especially when the cause is an issue between developpers, rather than a techinal issue.

I think copyright infringment is somewhat a pretext in order not to do anything. When I download a software (either free or not), I can not be sure that this software is actually not infringing anyone's copyright (unless I read the entire source, and I allmost never do that, even for works I modify), so for me, it work like a giant web of trust. I'm also sceptic about the fact that microsoft would like to sink MinGW, because it's one of the most widely used compilers for windows...

However, I'll confess I'm not really aware of consequences of copyright infringment, for instance, I don't really now to what extent I could be considered liable for contributing to a copyright-infringing project, or for using it. Because I'm french, and in france, we use "droits d'auteurs" laws that are slightly different of copyright laws (making some licenses totally unlawful btw). If anyone is anyone can shed some light on this, it would probably help me.

The real problem is Mingw-w64, is undocumented to such a extent that it is really hard to get something working the right way, not because it is hard to use or build, but because you actually don't know what to do ! A couple of months ago, I decided to try it, but that so fucking hard that I ended up downloading the x64 version of tdm-gcc. It was far better than what you can get on mingw-w64 site. But you still need to build manually lot of tools (at least libcharset, libiconv, and libintl for me), and this really anoying. I haven't experienced a bug yet though. I think that allmost things wrong about mingw-w64 are the lack of documentation and stable releases.

Regards
Romain

Keith Marshall <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 03/05/14 03:56, Nathan Ridge wrote:
> So why not look at the patches that were offered, and arrive at a
> conclusion about their copyright infringement or lack thereof, on
> their merits, rather than saying things like "we must surely conclude
> that his project has a carelessly cavalier attitude to this"?

Because, at the time he just threw a huge tarball of all his headers at
us; he never broke it down into patches.  When politely asked to do so,
he just ran off in a sulk, an the next thing we knew, the fork appeared.

We ask that you be polite and do the same.  Disregard for the list etiquette may cause your account to be moderated.

Re: 64-bit MinGW

KHMan
On 5/3/2014 6:39 PM, Romain Garbi wrote:
> It is clear that this kind of attitude should not exist. However,
> it is always sad to miss an important features, especially when
> the cause is an issue between developpers, rather than a techinal
> issue.

A long time list member here. MinGW has always required public
documentation for API patches, I've seen many people making such
contributions with no fuss at all, no problem at all.

It is an important legal issue, well worth the extra effort IMHO.
If younger fellas want to be cavalier about their legal position,
then let them take on the increased risk of a lawsuit. If they
choose to interpret copyright law in a way very favourably to
themselves and in a non-US setting, then let them take the risk.

> I think copyright infringment is somewhat a pretext in order not
> to do anything. When I download a software (either free or not), I
> can not be sure that this software is actually not infringing
> anyone's copyright (unless I read the entire source, and I allmost
> never do that, even for works I modify), so for me, it work like a
> giant web of trust. I'm also sceptic about the fact that microsoft
> would like to sink MinGW, because it's one of the most widely used
> compilers for windows...

You'd better learn more about copyright law before writing such
things.

In large corporations, the left hand knows not what the right hand
is doing. Lawyers are not developers, they won't know the
ecosystem benefits MinGW bring to Win32. An attack dog wanting to
stand out in a horde of attack dogs might strike at MinGW as a
career-making move, however bad it may look to the developer
community (lawyers might follow the old adage of "asking for
forgiveness is easier than asking for permission" too.)

One frivolous lawsuit even if it's later dismissed, can easily
ruin many lives.

Remember the timezone database lawsuit? Go read about it. Plenty
more examples of out-of-the-blue lawsuits to choose from...

Do you think it's fun if it happened to you?

So I must agree with the MinGW team on their procedures to
minimize legal risk. I would not want the MinGW project to drop
all the hard work done over the years and going to a cavalier
mode. If the other forks want to take on increased risk, let them
since it's the path they have chosen, but for me I think there
will still be the original MinGW to fall back on.

--
Cheers,
Kein-Hong Man (esq.)

Re: switch ?